Combatting Climate Myths
Last week I posted about a new book hypothesizing that teaching climate change deniers the scientific facts was a hopeless enterprise. Yet still I maintain hope. Noted economist William Nordhaus has a great new article that explains why the six most prominent arguments made by climate change deniers are factually incorrect.
My response is primarily designed to correct their misleading description of my own research; but it also is directed more broadly at their attempt to discredit scientists and scientific research on climate change. I have identified six key issues that are raised in the article, and I provide commentary about their substance and accuracy. They are:
• Is the planet in fact warming?
• Are human influences an important contributor to warming?
• Is carbon dioxide a pollutant?
• Are we seeing a regime of fear for skeptical climate scientists?
• Are the views of mainstream climate scientists driven primarily by the desire for financial gain?
• Is it true that more carbon dioxide and additional warming will be beneficial?
As I will indicate below, on each of these questions, the sixteen scientists provide incorrect or misleading answers. At a time when we need to clarify public confusions about the science and economics of climate change, they have muddied the waters. I will describe their mistakes and explain the findings of current climate science and economics.
Nordhaus’s full argument is here. Well I’m sure everyone is convinced now? Right?Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2012 Liberaland