Five Myths About Planned Parenthood
The Washington Post destroys five common myths that have been injected into the national bloodstream about Planned Parenthood:
1. Planned Parenthood’s federal funding frees up other money to pay for abortions.
Opponents of Planned Parenthood insist that giving the organization federal dollars allows it to spend other money in its budget to provide abortions. That is not possible — there is no other money.
Title X is a federal grant program that exists solely to help low-income and uninsured people access contraceptives and sexual health care; 5.2 million people use the program annually. But Congress has never appropriated enough money to take care of the estimated 17 million Americans who need publicly funded family-planning care. There always are more patients than subsidies.
2. Ninety percent of what Planned Parenthood does is provide abortions.
That is what Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) said this month in a speech against federal support for Planned Parenthood; his staff later said his assertion was “not intended to be a factual statement.”
3. Defunding Planned Parenthood will reduce abortions.
4. Planned Parenthood serves only teenagers and prostitutes.
5. People don’t really need Planned Parenthood.
Three million patients each year visit Planned Parenthood’s more than 800 health centers in every state, in big cities and small towns. In some areas, Planned Parenthood and the Title X-funded system are the only sexual health providers for hundreds of miles.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2011 Liberaland